Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Right Thing

James 4:17

(NAS) Therefore to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.
(NIV) Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.

In reading this last verse of Chapter 4 of James You end this chapter with "Therefore...." or "Anyone, then..."

The reference to these in the verses before are saying that all boasting about the future
as in "I will do this or that..." is wrong because we are like a vapor. This is arrogance.  :14 How do we know what our life will be like tomorrow?

:16 "You boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil."

Yes, Father, we are like vapor. Vapor lasts but for moments. But I really do not have the reality or sense of that driving me.

My heart desires to have my real home, heaven, constantly influencing and impacting my life; to know my life here is a vapor and to yield to Your promnptings and leading without hesitation or fear or doubt.

I am amazed at your patience and longsuffering toward me. I know You know the number of times I have not followed Your Holy Spirit's promptings or done what I knew was the right thing to do in the moment and it was sin....yet because of the blood of Jesus Christ shed on the Cross for me, You do not count it against me and You would never ever bring it up to accuse me. You simply continue to love me where I am at.

Your love for me is THE most amazing thing.

In thinking of verse 17 especially makes me to realize even more the importance of doing what I know is the right and good thing to do and to also obey promptly when the Holy Spirit speaks to me. It is not about me....it is about Your desire to bless someone or to meet a need so that their heart may turn toward You whether they are a lost person or believer. I may not feel like doing what is the "good" thing to do or want to take the time to do it or have a clue why You are leading me to do something but You still want me to do it.

You very clearly here point out to Your children that "to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, it is sin."

Doing the right thing is an opportunity to do something that is excellent, noble, and praiseworthy (no matter how small a thing) to bring honor to Your Name. And not only that, our life on this earth is like a vapor so it makes it even more important to do that right thing in the moment. Now is the time to do it.

1 comment:

Carissa said...

You are an amazing example to me of a woman whose ear is turned toward the Lord and you live out what He tells you. I love you!