Friday, January 7, 2011

Offense

Matt 17:24-27

“But lest we give them offense, go to the sea, and throw in a hook, and take the first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a stater. Take that and give it to them for you and Me.”

Father, to me this is an amazing thing that Jesus does.
I wonder how this sounded to Peter at first. Apparently, after just having seen Jesus
transfigured and then curing the boy that the disciples failed to deliver because of their unbelief, Peter’s faith was in a place that it didn’t seem so far out or something to question.

If You told me to do the same, would I go to the sea (or even to the unknown) without questioning it?

Jesus did all kinds of miracles. In this one, it provided their own need. Even though Jesus explained to Peter that the “sons” are exempt he gave these orders to Peter in order “not to give offense." (:26)

I was thinking of the words that are used here in most of the translations-offense or stumble. They also mean to “be offended in one, to see in another what I disapprove of and what hinders me from acknowledging his authority.”
The amplified states it further as "to judge unfavorably and unjustly". If Jesus were not to pay the tax and not fulfill the law, He would be judged unfavorably, unjustly and so would possibly keep many from believing and acknowledging His authority and seeing Him for who He truly is, God.

Jesus knows the human heart.

Father, help me to not allow what I see in others to hinder my relationship with You.
Your love for them is as deep as it is for me. Your character and love do not change according to our experiences and our shortcomings. You are the same, yesterday, today and tomorrow. (Hebrews 13:8)

No comments: