Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Mercy of God

1 Tim 1:12-17

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service:
:13 even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent aggressor.
And yet I was shown mercy, because I acted ignorantly in unbelief.
:14 and the grace of our Lord was more than abundant, with the faith and love which are found in Christ Jesus.
:15 It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners among whom I am foremost of all.
:16 And yet for this reason I found mercy in order that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.

I love this…:17Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor, glory, forever and forever. Amen.

This passage really spoke to me today Father.
First, as you did with Paul, you have done with us as believers…You have put us into service. We were chosen, called and appointed to serve the Most High God.

Paul thought he loved you, but really he was violently opposed to Your children and persecuted them. He stood by when Stephen was stoned to death. He thought he was right in Your eyes.

Yet what stood out is that he says he acted ignorantly in unbelief. That is the way it is when a person is lost. They are ignorant of Your love for them, of the grace and mercy that is extended to them at the Cross. This most beautiful, magnificent gift is set before them, yet they cannot see it.
But Paul’s eyes were opened and he could look back and see the abundance of grace that You poured out on him along with faith and love that is found in Jesus. This is mercy at its ultimate level when a Holy God accepts sinners as they are because Jesus paid the price for their sins at the Cross of Calvary.

No matter what a person has done, said, or thought in their life, they are able to find mercy at the throne of the Creator of this world. Each time a person accepts the Lord Jesus as Lord of their life, it is demonstrating to the world His perfect patience toward those who walk in darkness.

Because as believers, we are in Him and we have His Spirit indwelling us, we are able to extend His perfect patience to those who are lost. It is His love and patience within us that draws the lost to Him.

Thank you Father for the mercy that You also continually pour out to me daily as a believer.
As I walk through the day, You are with me in my imperfections, loving me every step of the way.

No comments: