Saturday, January 30, 2010

Scatter!

1 Tim 6:18-19
Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share.
:19 storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed.

In thinking of this Father, I wondered if the last phrase, take hold of that which is life indeed, meant this life or life eternal

The words “ready to share”, 2843, means inclined to make others sharers in one’s possessions, inclined to impart, free in giving, liberal.

I loved what one commentary said: Earthly riches scattered in faith lay up in store a sure increase of heavenly riches.

That makes me want to scatter. But even aside from the rewards that giving brings in the eternal, to me You have shown me that real life is found in giving.

God gave His only begotten Son to enable us to become His children. The Cross is all about the love given to the world, so that we could know the Father and His deep unchanging love for us. This truth transforms the most hardened heart.

You just brought to my mind yesterday’s thoughts on Amazima ministry and their ministering to the poor in Uganda. What was noticeable in the pictures shown in the work they do, is the joy on the faces of the people they serve as well as on Katie. The life they live is not easy.

You also brought to me the memory that in my own life the truest most pure joy that I have experienced has been in the most difficult times. Those were times when my body was physically exhausted and yet the act of putting Mom or Cl above myself, was the most rewarding.

“For the joy set before Him He endured the Cross….” Hebrews 12::2 Jesus is our example. Nothing can compare with the sacrifice He endured for me.

And the Cross compels us to scatter. To not hold onto our possessions but to hold them loosely.
You know what Father? I want to hold onto a lot of things I have, even more than I really know.

But it is wonderful that Your word comes and transforms this heart of mine and encourages it to give and to scatter. To remember that these earthly treasures are meaningless if not scattered by faith or held loosely to bring joy to our lives, as You say in 1 Tim 6:17, ” who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy,”

Thank You Father for Your grace and love for me.

No comments: