Friday, February 5, 2010

Paul's Wisdom

2 Tim 1:6-7
For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
:7 For God did not give you a spirit of timidity but of power, love, and a sound mind.

You know what Father? 2 Tim 1:7 has been quoted and memorized by so many of your children and helped them in times of fear. But you brought to my attention the verses before it, which truly I have not thought of as often in relation to this verse.

Paul wrote to Timothy, who was as dear to him as a son, to encourage him. Paul spoke of how “I constantly remember you in my prayers night and day, longing to see you”.
He prayed for Timothy unceasingly and told him he was reminded of Timothy’s sincere and genuine faith. Paul also reminds Timothy of the gift given to him when Paul laid hands on him for ministry.

Then to me it was interesting how Paul approached something in Timothy that needed to be addressed and encouraged. His fear. His timidity.

He didn’t say anything like “you need to….” (like I probably would have). But he directed Timothy’s thoughts to You, Father. To the fact that basically You had already given him ministry gifts, you had equipped him already with Your spirit of love, discipline and a sound mind.

I loved the way Paul approached Timothy to encourage him and did it so that the focus was on what God had already given to him. To see that these gifts enabled him to minister in a way that was not natural to Timothy. The burden was not to be on Timothy to think it was all up to him.
It was God who had gifted him and who was the One on whom Timothy could depend on to use the gifts accordingly when needed. Timothy could lean on, depend on, and believe God to help him in all times when fear knocked on his door. God’s spirit was bigger, stronger, and more powerful than his own natural heart and mind.

Thank you Father for reminding me of the power of Your Holy Spirit within me and also helping me see the wisdom Paul used in ministering to Timothy.

You are the spirit of Wisdom itself and there is no true wisdom without Your word and Your Spirit.

No comments: